Catherine Morris, BA, LLB, LLM
Victoria, BC, Canada
E-mail Catherine Morris
Publications, papers and presentations | Courses & Training Workshops
Catherine Morris, BA (Alberta) 1974, JD (Alberta) 1978, LLM (UBC) 2001, has been a leader in the field of conflict resolution since 1983. She has played key roles in numerous conflict resolution organizations and initiatives. She works in Canada and internationally in academic, community, nonprofit, public and private sectors. She is the founder and managing director of Peacemakers Trust, a Canadian non-profit organization for education and research in conflict resolution and peacebuilding. She also serves as Deputy Executive Director of Lawyers' Rights Watch Canada
Mediation, fact-finding, adjudication
Ms. Morris is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and the Canadian Bar Association. She practices law with Lampion Pacific Law Corporation.
Teaching, research and writing
As an adjunct professor at the University of Victoria, Professor Morris teaches graduate level courses in conflict resolution, negotiation and international human rights law. She has taught at the University of Victoria in Canada, Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand, and European Peace University in Austria. She has been involved in design, planning, administration and presentation of workshops for senior public officials, leaders of non-governmental organizations, academics and professionals in several countries including Thailand, Cambodia, Bolivia, Myanmar (Burma) and Rwanda.
Professor Morris is a former Executive Director of the Institute for Dispute Resolution at the University of Victoria, where she worked in several leadership roles from 1992-1998. She designed and founded UVic's multidisciplinary graduate program in dispute resolution and taught in the program until 2016. She is also an Associate of the Centre for Asia-Pacific Initiatives (CAPI) at the University of Victoria.
Her research and writing has resulted in publications and papers on mediator ethics and qualifications, conflict and culture, ADR in legal education, the role of religion in peacebuilding, peacebuilding in Cambodia, and human rights education. Her website bibliography, Conflict Transformation and Peacebuilding: A Selected Bibliography, hosted by Peacemakers Trust, has been used by tens of thousands of people in more than 100 countries on all continents.
Ms. Morris has served on many national and local Boards and committees.
Publications, Papers, and Presentations
Publications (off this site)
| Academic Courses and Training Workshops
| Dispute Resolution Bibliography
Courses and Training Workshops
- Negotiation Workshop: Negotiation Theory and Practice. LLM Program, Faculty of Law, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand. Course designer and instructor, forty-eight hours of instruction over three weeks, annually 2002-2016.
- International Human Rights and Conflict. Faculty of Law and MA program in Dispute Resolution, Faculty of Human and Social Development, University of Victoria, Canada. Course designer and instructor, thirty-six hours of instruction, annually 2004 to 2016.
- Peace Potentials in the World Religions. European Peace University, Austria. Course designer and instructor, 15 hours of instructions, annually 2011-2013.
- Conflict Transformation in an Educational Setting. Graduate Program in Leadership Studies, Faculty of Education, University of Victoria, Canada. Course designer and instructor, thirty-six hours of instruction, 1999 to 2001, 2005, 2006.
- Dispute Resolution Ethics. LLM Program, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, Toronto, Canada. Co-instructor with Prof. Frederick Zemans, twenty-eight hours of instruction, 2005, 2006.
- The Challenges of Reconciliation: Basic Concepts. Christian Community College, Victoria, Canada. Designer and instructor, September to November, 2005.
Professional Development Workshops
- "Building Cultures of Integrity in Universities and Society". Four 3-day workshops in Bangkok, Hat Yai, Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai, Thailand, 4-22 November 2019.
- "Transforming Conflict in the Church," Workshop for clergy and church leaders held at Seminario Teológico Bautista, Union Bautista Baptist Boliviana, Cochabamba, Bolivia, November 13-17, 2006
- The Challenges of Reconciliation: Basic Concepts. King Prajadhipok's Institute, Bangkok, Thailand, March 11-13, 2005. Designer and facilitator, workshop on for government officials and civil society leaders in Thailand.
- Conflict Transformation in Organizations, Alliance for Conflict Transformation, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, December, 2004 and March 2005. Course designer and instructor, 5-day mediation skills training for workers in civil society organizations and unions. Follow-up 5-day training, March 2005.
- Conflict Management in Health Care Settings, King Prajadhipok's Institute, Bangkok, Thailand, March, 2004. Designer and co-facilitator, 2.5 day training workshop for health care professionals and NGO workers.
- Negotiation training workshop for lawyers of the Bar Association of the Kingdom of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Co-sponsored by the Canadian Bar Association, September, 2001.
- Numerous other presentations, workshops, short articles, book reviews and editorials.